Thursday, July 23, 2009
Would you like to make a nice, steaming, pan full of fried rice? Fried rice is very easy to make, also delicious. It can be prepared in many ways, this is just one of them. It takes 20 minutes to prepare and it goes with lots of things!
White Rice that's previously been cooked and refrigerated
1/2 an Onion
1. Put about 6 cups of rice into your rice cooker. Let it steam until it is ready.
2. Wash the vegetables. Then, dice the carrots and onions into small pieces. Set them aside for the next step.
3. Add oil and heat up the pan to 100 degrees.
4. Toss the vegetables into the pan for about 3 minutes. Then toss in the carrots and onions for 3 minutes with the vegetables. Add the 1 teaspoon of salt into the pan.
5. Boil the chicken or shrimp with the rest of the ingredients (optional).
6. Put a bit more oil into the frying pan.
7. Toss the rice in carefully.
8. Add an egg and scramble with the other ingredients. Add approximately 2 to 3 tablespoons of soy sauce while frying.
9. Put fried rice on a dish and it's ready to serve!
You can substitute butter for oil.
There are many things you can pair up with fried rice. Here are some ideas:
Inside pita bread with salsa, ham, and melted cheese
Serve with dumplings
Lup cheong, also known as lop chong, or Chinese sweet sausage, is a wonderful, traditional addition to fried rice. It should be cooked (steamed or pan-fried) first, and diced or sliced before being added to the fried rice.
Oyster sauce, which can be found in Chinatown, adds great flavor, and doesn't taste like oysters. only a little is needed, and you can add after cooking. The Lee Kum Kee brand is good. However, some may contain MSG, so check the label if you want to avoid that. Fried rice is a great way to utilize various leftovers or items in your refrigerator. A time saver is to use a handful of diced, frozen mixed vegetables - the peas, carrots, etc. add color, nutrition and flavor in seconds. It's recommended to use overnight left-over rice for fried rice because it is firmer than freshly cooked rice. This will prevent rice sticking together while stir frying.
Use caution when operating any cooking surface or container to avoid injury.
Be careful when you cut the vegetables. Beware when performing and "frying" operation as oil tends to "spit" from cooking surfaces, and some food items will actually explode when exposed to hot enough oil.