Thursday, July 2, 2009
Spring time brings with it warm breezes, sunshine, and outdoor and Patio parties. No matter the occasion, or even if your party is indoors, surprise your guests with this completely different and delicious snack. It is easy to make, colorful, and you will be having everyone wanting to know "How did you do this"
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 cup fresh chopped scallions
* 1 clove fresh minced garlic
* 1 or 2 minced seeded jalopeño pepper, or to taste
* 1 cup fresh raspberries
* 1/2 cup organic sugar
* 1 cup minced watermelon
* 8 ounces light cream cheese
* Whole grain crisp flatbreads or crackers
1. Heat the oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium high heat
2. sauté the scallions, garlic and jalapeños until toasted.
3. Reduce heat to low and add the raspberries and sugar to the pan.
4. Bring to a slow simmer and stir occasionally, for about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat to cool.
5. Refrigerate until chilled.
6. Stir in watermelon.
1. Place the cream cheese on a platter.
2. Pour some salsa over the cream cheese.
3. Serve with flatbreads or crackers.
4. Serve chips with the remaining salsa.
5. Makes about 3 cups of salsa.